Sonntag, 6. April 2014

An Attempt



I pieced a circle with five Ginkgo leaves, and went from bright green to dark green to bright yellow to dark yellow to brown-gray to bright green again.
They all stem from a five-sided figure in the middle.
Over the last months I had been exploring the Hawaiian way of quilting, I still find it fascinating and the beautiful Hawaiian spirit and technique inspire me, but this here is something else. The main difference is that this is no appliqué, it's patchwork.
It took me hours to figure out how such a block might be designed, I didn't find it easy to do, and this is my first attempt. More will follow.
I just LOVE Ginkgos!!


... oh, and someone asked me, why I didn't choose a design where there could be drawn a vertical centerline as the exact axis of symmetry in the middle. Yes, that would have been possible, just arrange the circle of leaves a bit more to the left for example. But that would have given the impression of something firm and static, as if all leaves formed a flower. Such a flower is created, yes, however, I wanted to have some movement in the design, as if there were a rotation going on... But there are lots of variations possible!