Montag, 3. Februar 2014


"The child is taught from earliest consciousness that she has these four brothers with her in the world wherever she goes, and that they will always look after her. The brothers inhabit the four virtues a person needs in order to be safe and happy in life: intelligence, friendship, strength and (I love this one) poetry. The brothers can be called upon in any critical situation for rescue and assistance. When you die, your four spirit brothers collect your soul and bring you to heaven. …
Ketut then instructed me that whenever I speak to my four spirit brothers, I must tell them who I am, so they can recognize me. I must use the secret nickname they have for me. I must say, "I am Lagoh Prano."
Lagoh Prano means "Happy Body".
I rode my bicycle back home, pushing my happy body up the hills toward my house in the late afternoon sun. On my way through  the forest, a big male monkey dropped out of a tree right in front of me and bared his fangs at me. I didn't even flinch.  I said, "Back off, Jack - I got four brothers protecting my ass," and I just rode right on by him."

(from a book I love very much: "Eat Pray Love", by Elizabeth Gilbert)