Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2014

"Acquire skill and make it deep."



Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono.
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep.

Explanation: If you want to become really good at anything, you've got to study hard and practice long until it gets deep and becomes a part of you.

http://www.k12.hi.us/~waianaeh/waianhi/olelo.html

oh, I really try to do that. I wish to be good at making quilts Hawaiian style, and this piece here (30 x 30 cm, 12" x 12") is the most difficult thing I finished so far. I find it very challenging to make an appliqué with these tiny hidden stitches, with all these curved lines and tiny points and very little space between these leaves...
I love what Hinano says to Bonnie in "The Aloha Quilt" (by Jennifer Chiaverini, a very lovely book): when he made her the present of a self-designed pattern, and she replied she wouldn't be too certain whether she'll be able to make a quilt with that, he advised her to go step by step, stitch by stitch...
Well, that is such a good advice! Everyone can take some kind of step, and another, or do one stitch, and then another, 
me, too, and eventually the whole piece is finished! :-)

(on January 28 I wrote more about Hawaiian Quilts and quilts Hawaiian style)