Samstag, 31. März 2012

"You never forget a beautiful thing...


... that you have made,' [Chef Bugnard] said. 'Even after you eat it, it stays with you - always.” 

-Julia Child, My Life in France



http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3465.Julia_Child



Since I like cooking and lovely kitchen utensils I now sewed a potholder which shows the same pattern as my fragrant coasters and my hanging-bag (see my posts here from March 19 and March 26, 2012). It is also a great way to use up all my scraps in my scrap-bag!




Somehow I think I managed to design a potholder which answers all my seven wishes I have potholder-wise! :-)  

First: This potholder looks good and special I think. It is an eye-catcher because of the circular and multi-colored design. Both sides are made in patchwork-style, consist of three layers of fabric each and are hand-quilted.

Second: I can hang it up easily because it has a large nice string.

Third: It is a slip-inside-potholder, it can be used like a glove.

Fourth: This potholder is big enough to handle larger baking trays or pots (it is 27 cm or 10 1/2" in diameter).

Fifth: It is thick enough to protect the hand against the heat, because of the three layers of fabric on each side, but also because an additional inner bag is inserted.




Sixth: This potholder provides a firm grip, because the inner bag is fastened with buttons and with quilting stitches which are set according to the size of the hand of the owner: it is a made-to-measure-potholder!

Seventh: Washing is easy because I use robust fabrics only, for the inner and outer layers alike.
...and here is some good advice on cooking, coming again from Julia Child ( I love her!)
“Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.” 

“Everything in moderation... including moderation.” 

and:

“The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."


http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3465.Julia_Child