Freitag, 13. Januar 2012

Bookbird


"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing an a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."
Henry David Thoreau
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/birds/






This is my new "bookbird", sitting on a twig. It is made of several pieces of fabric, felt and leather. The wings and the twig are hand-appliquéd, the quilting stitches as well as the embroidery are also handmade. It is 21cm/ 7cm or about 8" / 3".  The top looks different than the underside. The batting is a fitting piece of woolen fleece, which gives all the stability you wish for in a bookmark and just feels good.
I'll make a collection of such bird- bookmarks, show them here and if anyone is interested, I will sell them. Just send me an e-mail:
MARIASmail@t-online.de
(for information please click also on "Give And Take" on top of this site)
I feel that when reading a lovely book it's really like a bird sitting next to me and it sings all kinds of wondrous stories and melodies to me, just for me to listen.
The books shown here are by Henry James, "The Portrait Of A Lady" with the wonderful drawings by John Singer Sargent, and by Studs Terkel, "And They All Sang", a very lovely book with conversations with musicians.














For a complete view of my first collection, please click on "Bookbirds" on top of this site.