Sonntag, 28. Juli 2013

Basting my Windmill-Quilt


I'm basting my "windmill"-quilt with pretty rough stitches to prepare it for hand quilting later.
I rolled up the three layers (lavender colored cotton for the back, a light 60%cotton/40%polyester sheet for the batting and the finished hand sewn patchwork top) around an older quilt to form a big stable roll, put it all on a wide table (two ironing boards serve the same purpose) and now I baste it row after row, slightly rearranging and stretching the layers when necessary.
Many quilters find basting very tedious, but I like it somehow because now for the first time I get an idea what the finished quilt might feel like, as the three layers now begin to form some kind of integrated whole.
(Originally this pattern is called "Pinwheel", but like the image of windmill sails better.)