Sonntag, 21. August 2011

Relief

I started to do something entirely new: I now make three-dimensional reliefs with patchwork patterns (this here is a typical Amish Diamond), 18 cm + 18 cm. It's done with papiermaché and it takes five days to finish a relief. Since I never before worked with these strong contrasts I'm a bit surprised to see its stunning effect when such a piece hangs on the wall.
I think I'll make more of them to find out more about three-dimensional patterns and the effect of using white and black and only one more color in them.
I got the idea when I saw such reliefs, made of manure, which a friend of mine had brought home from a trip to Africa. Since I've never been to Africa I can't do African patterns, but I can try to use "my" patchwork patterns and transform them into such reliefs. I'll try that out! :-)