Montag, 29. August 2011

More Reliefs

Meanwhile I have finished some more reliefs (more about my reliefs: see also August 21, 2011) It's interesting to me that I lost all hesitation in using black, I usually had been very very careful in the past to avoid black parts in my work, but here now the entire effect is based on the contrast to white. The black (or white) lines are about 1 cm deep. 
In addition I use red and yellow. No other colors.
These reliefs can be hung up easily (2,5 cm thick, the back being hollow), they weigh next to nothing. 
The patterns are typical patchwork patterns: the Diamond, Orange Peel, Bright Hopes, Multiple Borders. My Bright Hopes relief  (third one from above, "in combination") has an inner diamond which is cut out, so the color and the shade of the inner diamond depends on the surroundings and background where it hangs and on the time of day.










In combination:







Although I did not intend this similarity in the first place, I realize that my reliefs do have some kind of connection to African American quilts. I like that! I did not know that I could do this.






(quilt picture above taken from: http://museumshows.org/shows/GeesBend.html)