Freitag, 27. Mai 2011

Repetition


It is impossible to repeat in one period what was done in another. The point of view is not the same, anymore than are the tools, the ideals, the needs, or the painters' techniques.

- Pierre Auguste Renoir, from Renoir's notebook, quoted in L. Nochlin, Impressionism and Post-Impressionism 1874 - 1904 (1966)



I was thinking about how I can never repeat anything I did before. Even if it was very right, very nice, very easy to do, when I try to repeat it, it will come out differently. Maybe it's only very slightly different, but different nevertheless. If I try to repeat the same thing exactly the same way, I become frustrated and worn-out. It won't happen again. The only thing I can do is to be grateful for what once was created well and then to go on, now creating something that is maybe equally nice, but ... different. Maybe better! :-)