Sonntag, 15. Mai 2011

Learning


This is how I learned to sew a horse: 
To make the first one I just tried things out, using the "knowledge" I had accomplished so far. It turned out that this little obese horse couldn't stand, but it sits very nicely! It took some time before I figured out how to make a horse with real, more sturdy legs. So the second horse is able to stand, but still in a wobbly fashion, and it looks a bit like a "Beatle", but I love it, although: if you push it a bit, it won't stand very long, the legs have a tendency to spread towards different directions... But then I found a real good pattern on the internet and I was able to make the big horse, complete with a quilt and bags...
I think this is how learning works best: I had a strong wish to make such a "horsie", I found out who and where to ask for advice, I tried again, and I honored each step as good and lovely: I still so much love my well rounded first horse which would not stand but makes such a pretty and funny pin cushion now! And I love my wobbly horse with the tousled mane! And I love my more elegant version of a horse as well, it has some dignity I think... :-)
But this was very important: I took my time to do that and I always had persons around me who praised me for me efforts and laughed with me when I produced funny results and encouraged me to go on. 
So, this is how learning works!
Since I have been a teacher for 25 years (both with kids and adults) I know that sadly learning at schools usually doesn't work like that.