Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2018

"Kiano"- Quilt



I just finished a new quilt. 
The title "Kiano" is Kenyan for 
"joy" and "to breathe new life into something".


The quilt is large and quite light. I used cotton fabrics and cotton fleece for the filling. But it's warming and cuddly also because I have included many knitted parts (yarn is 80% wool and 20 % polyamide, can be washed easily) and the reverse side is made with soft flannel.


It's completely made by hand. 
All parts are prewashed.
Dimensions are 132 cm x 222 cm (51,9" x 87").

The patterns are traditional ones:
it's the Pinwheel pattern on the sides and the Rail Fence pattern in the center.



I loved working on that quilt, especially because I like the process of alternating sewing and knitting. And I am amazed by how the soft knitted parts add warmth and a certain vividness to the quilt, but they need to be held firmly in place by the fabric parts!

The quilt will be on display at a small private exhibition in November in Berlin. 



The label at the back is in German: