Sonntag, 5. Januar 2014

2014-Quilt: January




This is my first block of a "2014"-Quilt. My plan is to design a block each month with red and natural-colored cotton and linen. It's all for myself because I have no idea where this will lead me to and if this will look good at all in the end. I just want to try out to design blocks without copying anything, although I know very well that all patterns have deep roots in the evolution of cultures all over the world and nothing comes without links to something that is already long since there.
The other thing is that working with two solid colors only is not familiar to me. There are contrasts to handle and I don't want to have too much sharpness in my designs. So I think the next block might have some smooth lines in it, don't know yet.
The size of each block is 24 x 24 cm,  so all 12 blocks plus the sashing could make a light quilt which possibly can be hung as a wallhanging or be used as a plaid. I am very curious how this will turn out! :-)