Samstag, 9. Februar 2013

Utility Quilts




When I start to make a new quilt, either for myself or for a person who asks me to do so -
I begin with the questions: How much time do I wish to invest? And what purpose will this quilt serve?
It's ultimately the choice between a fancy and a utility quilt.

What's a utility quilt?
Well, this is what I think: 
while fancy quilts radiate some kind of an artistic charisma, and are primarily used on special occasions, utility quilts are meant to be practical household quilts for daily use. Utility quilts are often pieced in a simple and quick way and are more or less thickly batted so that they provide warmth and comfort. A household with a love for quilts usually possesses a larger quantity of utility quilts and only a few fancy quilts.

But then, just like a fancy quilt a utility quilt shows all the traditional elements of an individually designed quilt, as for example:
- traditional patterns (mostly an arrangement of squares and/or stripes),
- the use of fabrics which have a tight connection to the life of the owner (but other than in fancy quilts no silk or velvet)
- a quilting work which is lovingly done, often by hand,
- a label with some information at the back.



When I make a utility quilt, I normally need 2 to 4 weeks to finish it, while working on a fancy quilt with a more intricate patchwork takes me from 3 months to a year or more, also because I don't use a sewing machine for fine patchwork.


Here is one of my fancy quilts:



.... and these are some pictures of my latest utility quilts 
(125 + 175 cm, cotton fabrics, the batting is a warm but light cotton-polyester blanket, the backing a soft flannel sheet, machine- sewing, hand-quilting)









... and as always, I love to combine a quilt with a cushion:





"Gwen had never imagined that fabric could convey so much meaning."

The Winding Ways Quilt, by Jennifer Chiaverini