Samstag, 5. Januar 2013

Improvisation




For my latest quilt I used certain elements of African American textile design: large shapes, asymmetry and improvisation. I had much fun: after I had found the right fabrics and had cut the first pieces I used the machine to assemble the blocks and listened to lovely music and added this and then that and at some point I had finished the top. I then quilted the layers of the quilt (batting: a soft, light cotton-polyester-blanket, backing: flannel) by hand, and this took me really some time. But again it was fun, I just made spontaneous decisions where and how to go with my quilting stitches, no plan, very easy-going ... then I added the binding, also by hand, ( I did the binding twice, my first choice of fabric didn't satisfy me), ... well, now it's all done! :-)